As you interact with GM, there may be opportunities for you to provide us with your information. Additionally, we may collect certain information about you or your vehicle as further described below.
You may provide us with information about you or your vehicle through a number of sources: GM websites, product and related events, test drive or other incentive applications, surveys, social media platforms and through our customer call centers.
We receive information about you through vehicle sales records provided by your dealer We also may obtain information about you and your vehicle from GM affiliates, GM dealers, GM licensees for consumer merchandise, GM credit card bank partners and other sources such as companies that provide lists of potential vehicle purchasers and current owners, if such companies are permitted to share your information with us pursuant to their privacy statements.
The types of information that GM collects about you may include, but are not limited to:
- contact information (such as name, address, city, state and ZIP code, email address and telephone number)
- vehicle information (such as vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, model year, selling dealer, servicing dealer, date of purchase or lease and service history)
- vehicle performance data (such as engine and transmission performance, airbag deployment conditions or crash or near crash information about how a vehicle’s systems performed)
- demographic information (such as age range, marital status and household composition)
- non-credit-related marketing profile information (such as when you plan to purchase or lease; the vehicle in which you're interested)
- relationships you have with GM in addition to the purchase and servicing of your vehicle incentive eligibility verification information
- investor information (name, address, phone number and email address)
- photographs such as those that you may submit for contests
The information GM collects about you and your vehicle will be used:
- to provide products and services
- to maintain customer relationships
- to operate GM websites
- to provide customer and vehicle support and service (such as recall information or warranty service)
- to provide information and product updates
- to evaluate vehicle performance and safety as described in the vehicle owner manual
- for safety and product research purposes
- to verify eligibility for vehicle purchase or incentive programs
- for marketing purposes
- to customize and improve communication content
- to comply with legal requirements
GM has developed certain mobile applications that you may download to your mobile device or vehicle (“GM Applications”). When you download a GM Application, there may be an opportunity for you to provide us with or for us to obtain information about you or your vehicle. Each GM Application will display a separate Privacy Statement that will inform you about how any information shared via the application will be handled and how to decline such use or uninstall the application.
Through the Infotainment system, GM may also offer applications developed by third parties (“3rd Party Application”). When you download a 3rd Party Application to your mobile device or vehicle, the 3rd Party Application may collect information about you in connection with your download or use of that application. GM is not responsible for the collection or use of information by 3rd Party Applications. We recommend that you carefully review the privacy statement of each 3rd Party Application prior to downloading or using them.
GM may share the information it collects about you or your vehicle in the following instances:
- as required by law, such as in conjunction with a subpoena, government inquiry, litigation, dispute resolution or similar legal process
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a law enforcement request
- with our services providers who work on our behalf and who do not have an independent right to use the information to which they have access or that we disclose to them
- with our business partners for GM marketing activities, business partner marketing activities or both
- with third parties for research and development purposes (such as university research institutes for improving highway safety)
- in connection with the sale, transfer or financing of a significant part of a GM business or its assets, including any such activities associated with a bankruptcy proceeding
- within GM, with our GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, with GM dealers and with GM licensees; however, transaction information regarding your GM Card will not be shared with GM dealers.
- Apart from the purposes listed above, GM will not share information about you or your vehicle with other third parties for their independent use without your permission.
How to Manage Your Personal Information/Communications Preferences
If you do not want to receive unsolicited marketing communications from GM, please call our Contact Center on the numbers listed below:
If you have subscribed to a particular email newsletter or other communication, you should follow the instructions in the email or on a related website to unsubscribe.
GM and GM dealers are separate legal entities with their own privacy practices. For questions about your dealer's privacy practices including opting out of marketing communications from your dealer, please contact your dealer directly.
If you opt out of receiving marketing communications from GM, your personal information will not be used for marketing, but may still be used for the other purposes described in this Privacy Statement (such as vehicle support and service).
GM uses administrative, technical and physical security to protect the personal information we maintain and to help ensure that it is used according to this Privacy Statement.
GM websites use “cookies” to remember user preferences and to maximize the performance of our website and services. Using cookies on our websites provides benefits to you, such as allowing you to maintain your account login information or contact information on Request a Quote forms between visits, or locating a nearby dealer. In addition, we use information gathered from cookies to autofill fields on forms such as the city, state or zip code associated with your IP address. This information can be corrected by you before submitting any form or inquiry or you can disable the cookie as discussed below and the information will not be collected.
Similarly, we may also place Web beacons in our emails to measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns by identifying the individuals who open or act upon an email message, when an email message is opened, how many times an email message is forwarded, the type of software, device, operating system and browser used to deliver the email and any URL accessed through our email message.
To measure site activity and provide a better user experience, we may allow our service providers or business partners to compile information from the cookies, Web beacons or other technologies on our websites which may include information about your visit (such as demographic data, browser type, IP address, pages visited, activities conducted on the page and the day and time of your visit). We may also allow third party advertising and personalization partners to use this information to develop personalized content and appropriate advertising based on your visits over time on GM web sites and non-GM web sites.
This information may also be used to evaluate our online advertising campaigns or to tailor promotions and other marketing messages to you.
At this time, we do not honor “do no track” signals from a web site browser. However, you may refuse or delete cookies. Please refer to your browser Help instructions to learn more about cookies and other technologies and how to manage their use. If you elect to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer, or change browsers. If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionality of a website may be impaired.
GM websites may contain links to third-party sites not controlled by GM or covered by this Privacy Statement, such as those belonging to GM dealers, GM licensees, co-branded websites offered in conjunction with a business partner, or independent product review sites. We recommend that you check the Privacy Statement of other sites you visit before providing any personal information.
When you buy or lease a GM vehicle from a GM dealer, the dealer will share your information with GM as the vehicle manufacturer. Please be aware that each dealer operates as a separate legal entity and you should read the dealer’s privacy statement to ensure that you understand its privacy practices and procedures. Additionally, because the GM dealer often is the first contact with you, the dealer can answer any questions you may have about its privacy practices. While GM encourages its dealers to ensure full compliance with all applicable privacy legislation and has provided information to our dealers relating to privacy obligations, GM is not responsible for dealers’ compliance with applicable law.
When completing a purchase or lease agreement or signing a service repair order with the GM dealer, you should be provided with information describing the dealership's privacy practices and related policies that explain that certain personal information that you provide to the dealer may be shared with GM or others in accordance with this Statement.
Privacy Inquiries and Correcting Your Information
If you have concerns or questions regarding GM's consumer privacy practices or to have your mail, email or telephone information updated please call one of the following Customer Assistance Centers that is specific to your vehicle:
Changes to Privacy Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement from time to time. We will do so by posting additions or modifications to this page.